We at the Parish Council have put this bulletin together to try to help a little during this very difficult period when all our lives have been turned upside down. Here in Grimsargh we enjoy a wonderful sense of community and there are many residents stepping up to the challenge. This isn’t exhaustive and won’t include the acts of kindness that are going on all day, every day – but is intended to signpost those who need help to what we know is available.
NEED A LITTLE HELP?
If you’re in need of help with shopping, collecting prescriptions, posting mail or just a friendly chat then the initiatives given below may be of use. Volunteers – please ensure you are well briefed in what you need to understand to keep yourself and others safe.
The main scheme in the village is being organised by Rachel Parker. Rachel has a group of volunteer residents who are willing to help, organised into areas. You may already have received a contact slip through your door with details of your ‘local’ volunteer, but if not, you can phone or text Rachel on 07555 294131 if you need help or if you’d like to offer to join the volunteer group.
In addition, members of St Michael’s Church have a small number of volunteers available who are happy to help. To get in touch with the Vicar, Neil Salt, you can call 07566 274186 or email email@example.com.
Finally, there is PrestonTogether which is Preston City Council’s hub. Working with a range of public and voluntary sector partners and other organisations, they support the most vulnerable in Preston who are facing difficulties, worries and loneliness as a result of the virus. They are actively contacting known vulnerable residents, but others who do not have help from friends or family can get in contact on 01772 906777 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm) or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, please visit https://www.preston.gov.uk/prestontogether
SAFE PRACTICES FOR SHOPPING (for yourself or others)
Whether you are doing your shopping yourselves, or having things delivered, please make sure you are aware of all the latest guidance on ways to maximise the safety of yourselves, your family and those working in all the support networks.
There is a lot of very good advice on the Preston City Council website, including some on shopping for yourself or someone else – read more here
We would particularly alert you to consider alternatives to cash, wherever possible.
There is more good advice available from the BBC too – click here.
You really can’t be “too informed”, so long as it is reliable information you are reading.
VOLUNTEERS and those providing food - please ensure that you have made yourself fully aware of everything you need to do to keep yourself and others safe.
LOCAL SHOPS AND BUSINESSES DOING DELIVERIES
We’ve compiled the following to try to help the community - but we are not endorsing any of those businesses listed.
- Our village Premier store is well stocked with food and other essentials – opening hours are currently Monday to Saturday 6am to 8pm and Sunday 7am to 8pm. Cash machine available.
- Imaan Pharmacy is open 9am to 6pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 1pm Saturday, closed Sunday. Prescriptions can be delivered. You will now need to wait outside the shop to be seen so it would be helpful to know what you want beforehand – staff will bring your purchases out to you and payment by card is preferable. Telephone 01772 797351.
- Although Browns Mitsubishi is currently closed, if you are off the road with a vehicle issue you can contact them via their Facebook page www.facebook.com/Browns.
- While our ‘local’ post office is closed as the Club had to close, the Post Office in Longridge is open, though it is presently closed Saturdays, until firther notice.
- Alderbank Physiotherapy Clinic - although the clinic is closed, if you have an urgent query then you can leave a message on 01772 653501 for advice or assessment.
- Mick Adair – local milk, eggs, orange juice and now also cheese. Phone 07568 514026 or email email@example.com . Click here for price list.
- Goosnargh Meats - doing FREE local delivery. Click the link to get to their Facebook Page to message or phone 07395 942373.
- Janet Wallbank – Cakes - doing FREE local delivery - phone 01772 784169. Click here for price list.
- Heights Farm Pet Foods - Heights Farm always do FREE deliveries of pet food AND treats in the region. Click the link to get to their Facebook Page to message and place orders.
- Luca Wines - Luca is offering FREE delivery and a 10% discount for orders of 3 or more bottles. You can email Luca: firstname.lastname@example.org and download his pricelist here.
- Goosnargh Gin - doing FREE local delivery. Click the link to get to their Facebook Page to message, Phone: 01995 641001 or Email: email@example.com
- The Cheesecake - link to Facebook Page to contact
- Jo's Village Kitchen - doing FREE local delivery - phone 07749334119
- SO Plants – click link to go to their Facebook Page or phone/text Michelle on 07756171878
- Little Town Farm Shop – click link to go to their Facebook Page and see what they have on offer, then phone 01772 786198 to place an order.
- Andertons Butchers – click to order on line.
- Ribble Farm Fare – email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more
Please let us know of any more you are aware of and we will add it to the above list – email: email@example.com
Parish Council meetings
In line with Government guidance we cancelled our meeting in April and we are reviewing this on a month by month basis. We will try and look at having our May Parish Council meeting on line, so please keep checking our website and FB page for updates. We know a lot of you like to read our Parish Council newsletter, the next edition is due in June. We will also look at putting this online as we are unable to produce and deliver a paper version. Your Parish Council is still trying to carry on as normal and help our residents where we can. If you need our help you can either contact our Clerk, Sue Whittam by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or any of your Parish Councillors at email@example.com
Lengthsman - we have reviewed our lengthsmans duties. Routine maintenance work will now be resumed in the Nellie Carbis garden when the gate will be closed and a sign up, so please respect this. Some litter picking will also be done on Old Railway Walk and public footpaths.
Bins, verges, green spaces
Preston City Council are still working as normal and there is currently no change to bin collections, or green space maintenance, although this might change depending on future levels of staff absence.
Lancashire Best Kept Village Competition
At the time of writing the Best Kept Village competition is still going ahead although the judging may take place later than the usual early June to mid July.
If you want to pass this News Bulletin on to a neighbour, who does not have internet facilities, and you can do so safely (e.g. envelope through door), you can download a printable PDF here. Alternatively, email firstname.lastname@example.org their address and one will be posted out to them
Stay safe, Grimsargh. Our very best wishes to you and your families